Brazil Star Neymar confident after overcoming injury setback


SAO PAULO: Brazil’s record goalscorer Neymar Jr. said he had to endure “nonsense” criticism during his recovery from serious injuries and believes he has done everything possible to prove his fitness ahead of selection for the World Cup squad.

The Santos forward has not featured for Brazil since 2023 after suffering a knee injury that required surgery and kept him sidelined for nearly a year.

Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti has said Neymar must be fully fit and performing well to be considered for a place in the World Cup squad.

“Physically, I feel great. I’ve been improving with every game,” Neymar told reporters after Santos’ 3-0 defeat to Coritiba on Sunday.

“I’ve done my absolute best — it wasn’t easy. I’ll admit it wasn’t easy. It’s been years of hard work, and also a lot of nonsense being said about my condition,” he said.

“It’s really sad the way people talk about it. I worked hard, quietly, at home, suffering because of what people were saying, and it all worked out.”

He added that he believes he has returned to full condition and is ready for consideration.

“I’ve made it to where I wanted to be in one piece. I’m happy with my performance. Whatever happens, Ancelotti will call up the 26 best players.”

During Sunday’s match, Neymar was also involved in a heated reaction after being mistakenly substituted, an incident that came just as Brazil prepares to announce its World Cup squad.

Brazil, aiming for a record-extending sixth World Cup title, will face Morocco, Haiti and Scotland in Group C of the tournament in North America from June 11 to July 19.

Earlier, Iran’s national football team has traveled to Turkey as part of its preparations for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, where it will also complete visa procedures for entry into the United States, state media reported.

The team will set up a training camp in Antalya and is scheduled to play two warm-up matches as part of its final preparation phase ahead of the tournament.

According to reports, the squad consists of 22 domestic players along with the coaching staff. Head coach Amir Ghalenoei said players will also submit their US visa applications while in Turkey.

More read, Neymar faces backlash after altercation with teen teammate

Iran’s participation in the World Cup comes amid ongoing tensions between Tehran and Washington. Due to political and security concerns, Iran had previously considered shifting its matches to Mexico, but FIFA rejected any changes to the tournament schedule.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *