Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Nevada Sues Kalshi After Appeals Court Greenlights Action

    February 18, 2026

    Piapro Opens Up twentieth Anniversary Website for KAITO Vocaloid

    February 18, 2026

    Newest Peshawar Electrical Provide Firm PESCO Jobs 2026 2026 Job Commercial Pakistan

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Wednesday, February 18
    Trending
    • Nevada Sues Kalshi After Appeals Court Greenlights Action
    • Piapro Opens Up twentieth Anniversary Website for KAITO Vocaloid
    • Newest Peshawar Electrical Provide Firm PESCO Jobs 2026 2026 Job Commercial Pakistan
    • Calgary mayor asks photo radar ban be reconsidered after recent traffic fatalities – Calgary
    • Al-Aqsa Mosque Imam arrested by Israeli forces forward of Ramazan
    • Hassan Ali, wife welcome newest addition to family
    • U.S. court bars OpenAI from using ‘Cameo’
    • Main Throughout a Generational Fault Line: Consulting, Gen Z, and the Redefinition of Dedication 
    • Sacral Chakra
    • Sunil Malhotra, father of Sidharth Malhotra, dies in Delhi
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    The News92The News92
    • Home
    • World
    • National
    • Sports
    • Crypto
    • Travel
    • Lifestyle
    • Jobs
    • Insurance
    • Gaming
    • AI & Tech
    • Health & Fitness
    The News92The News92
    Home - Sports - Mbappe calls for Prestianni ban over alleged racist slur at Vinicius
    Sports

    Mbappe calls for Prestianni ban over alleged racist slur at Vinicius

    Naveed AhmadBy Naveed AhmadFebruary 18, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Real Madrids Kylian Mbappe with Benfica coach Jose Mourinho as the UEFA Champions League match was stopped due to racist chants at Estadio da Luz, Lisbon, Portugal, February 17, 2026. — Reuters
    Real Madrid’s Kylian Mbappe with Benfica coach Jose Mourinho as the UEFA Champions League match was stopped due to racist chants at Estadio da Luz, Lisbon, Portugal, February 17, 2026. — Reuters 

    Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side’s 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

    Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

    The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

    Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial slur against the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for 11 minutes after activating FIFA’s anti-racism protocols.

    The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni “a bloody racist” to his face.

    The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

    “I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard,” Prestianni wrote on his Instagram account.

    “I was never racist with anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players.”

    Mbappe told reporters he heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation also levelled by Real’s French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

    Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

    “We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe’s top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn’t deserve to play in the Champions League anymore,” Mbappe told reporters.

    “We have to set an example for all the children watching us at home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

    When asked whether Prestianni had apologised, Mbappe laughed.

    “Of course not,” he said.

    ‘Racists are, above all, cowards’

    Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

    “Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family’s life,” Vinicius wrote.

    The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behaviour targeting Vinicius since 2022.

    Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.





    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleCohere Releases Tiny Aya: A 3B-Parameter Small Language Model that Supports 70 Languages and Runs Locally Even on a Phone
    Next Article Pakistan’s do-or-die battle vs Namibia
    Naveed Ahmad
    • Website
    • Tumblr

    Related Posts

    Sports

    Hassan Ali, wife welcome newest addition to family

    February 18, 2026
    Sports

    Islamabad-New Delhi tensions may prompt ICC to ‘shift future events from India’ to Australia

    February 18, 2026
    Sports

    Barca undergo title defence blow in Girona

    February 18, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Top Posts

    Oatly loses ‘milk’ branding battle in UK Supreme Courtroom

    February 12, 20261 Views

    ‘Fly excessive my angel’: 12-year-old lady dies by suicide amid bullying allegations

    February 7, 20261 Views

    Lenovo’s Qira is a Guess on Ambient, Cross-device AI—and on a New Type of Working System

    January 30, 20261 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Demo
    Most Popular

    Oatly loses ‘milk’ branding battle in UK Supreme Courtroom

    February 12, 20261 Views

    ‘Fly excessive my angel’: 12-year-old lady dies by suicide amid bullying allegations

    February 7, 20261 Views

    Lenovo’s Qira is a Guess on Ambient, Cross-device AI—and on a New Type of Working System

    January 30, 20261 Views
    Our Picks

    Nevada Sues Kalshi After Appeals Court Greenlights Action

    February 18, 2026

    Piapro Opens Up twentieth Anniversary Website for KAITO Vocaloid

    February 18, 2026

    Newest Peshawar Electrical Provide Firm PESCO Jobs 2026 2026 Job Commercial Pakistan

    February 18, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions
    • Advertise
    • Disclaimer
    © 2026 TheNews92.com. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized reproduction or redistribution of content is strictly prohibited.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.