Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Meet Master Li

    February 19, 2026

    Russia May Block Global Crypto Exchanges By Summer

    February 19, 2026

    SuperGroupies Hades 2 Merchandise Based on Melinoe

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Thursday, February 19
    Trending
    • Meet Master Li
    • Russia May Block Global Crypto Exchanges By Summer
    • SuperGroupies Hades 2 Merchandise Based on Melinoe
    • Tehsil Headquarter Hospital THQ Khoiratta Job 2026 2026 Job Commercial Pakistan
    • Here’s the latest on Day 13 of the Olympics – National
    • AVCC police accused of looting pan shops in Surjani Town, Karachi
    • Pakistan win toss, choose to bat first against Namibia
    • Mastodon, a decentralized alternative to X, plans to target creators with new features
    • Rana Umara Azeem requires a strategic development blueprint to raise Pakistan’s IT sector
    • 5 Expert Tips to Craft Outstanding Nursing Papers
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    The News92The News92
    • Home
    • World
    • National
    • Sports
    • Crypto
    • Travel
    • Lifestyle
    • Jobs
    • Insurance
    • Gaming
    • AI & Tech
    • Health & Fitness
    The News92The News92
    Home - Sports - Bowlers, selectors under fire after Australia’s T20 World Cup exit
    Sports

    Bowlers, selectors under fire after Australia’s T20 World Cup exit

    Naveed AhmadBy Naveed AhmadFebruary 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Australia crashed out of the tournament after the match between Zimbabwe and Ireland was washed out. Photo: AFP/File


    SYDNEY:

    Critics hammered Australia’s bowling line-up and selection “stuff-ups” after the country’s shock T20 World Cup exit in the group stages.
    The 2021 champions were knocked out of the T20 World Cup in Sri Lanka on Tuesday.
    Zimbabwe qualified after their match against Ireland was rained off without a ball being bowled.
    The washout gave each side one point, and left Australia unable to catch up.
    Their campaign has been widely attacked as “shambolic”.
    Australia lost leading pace bowlers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood to injury, while captain Mitchell Marsh missed the first two games after being hit in the groin in training and suffering testicular bleeding.
    Their pace attack has been a “shadow of former glories” without Hazlewood, Cummins or Mitchell Starc, who has retired from the format internationally, The Australian newspaper said.
    Looking back on happier days, the paper recalled that Australia won five and drew one in their six T20 internationals from September 2024 to October 2025.
    “The trouble is that a host of players who had been central to those series wins have fallen off a cliff when the stakes are at their highest.”
     
    ‘Lamb to the slaughter’
    It cited “major drops” in output by Cameron Green, Tim David, Josh Inglis, Xavier Bartlett and Ben Dwarshuis, with series losses against India and Pakistan.
    The paper attacked selection “stuff-ups”, too, criticising the inclusion of Cooper Connolly as being like “throwing a lamb to the slaughter”.
    Test great Steve Smith was left out despite being in terrific form top of the order in the Big Bash League and his expertise in playing against spin bowling.
    He flew in as cover last week and was formally added to the Australia squad at the weekend, after their surprise loss to Zimbabwe on Friday.
    “We still haven’t had a compelling answer as to why he wasn’t yet in Colombo for the match against Zimbabwe, five days after Marsh was injured in the nets,” The Australian said.
    Then Smith was left out for the must-win game against Sri Lanka on Monday which saw an Australia middle-order collapse as they lost by eight wickets.
    “We don’t have that bowling depth, and that’s really shown,” former Australian cricketer Brad Hogg told British sports radio Talksport.
    “We really weren’t prepared enough for this particular World Cup, and we probably deserve what we’ve got at this stage.”
    Selectors and coaching staff will likely be under pressure over Australia’s performance, Hogg said.
    “They’ve got to plan. They’ve got to look at their depth of bowling here in Australia, especially when we lose Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc. What’s our next generation going to look (like) — that’s probably going to be the big question.”
    British journalist Piers Morgan, who delights in needling Australia, posted his condolences along with a prayer emoji on social media: “My thoughts with @CricketAus at this very difficult time.” 



    Source link

    it's best to focus on the main subjects and events mentioned. The central topic is clearly the T20 World Cup exit When thinking about which tags will make the article more discoverable
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleAmazon halts Blue Jay robotics challenge after lower than 6 months
    Next Article Air Force One jets to get Trump’s signature color scheme
    Naveed Ahmad
    • Website
    • Tumblr

    Related Posts

    Sports

    Pakistan win toss, choose to bat first against Namibia

    February 19, 2026
    Sports

    Bodo/Glimt stun Inter in UCL playoff first leg

    February 19, 2026
    Sports

    Arsenal blow two-goal lead in Wolves draw

    February 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Top Posts

    Oatly loses ‘milk’ branding battle in UK Supreme Courtroom

    February 12, 20261 Views

    ‘Fly excessive my angel’: 12-year-old lady dies by suicide amid bullying allegations

    February 7, 20261 Views

    Lenovo’s Qira is a Guess on Ambient, Cross-device AI—and on a New Type of Working System

    January 30, 20261 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Demo
    Most Popular

    Oatly loses ‘milk’ branding battle in UK Supreme Courtroom

    February 12, 20261 Views

    ‘Fly excessive my angel’: 12-year-old lady dies by suicide amid bullying allegations

    February 7, 20261 Views

    Lenovo’s Qira is a Guess on Ambient, Cross-device AI—and on a New Type of Working System

    January 30, 20261 Views
    Our Picks

    Meet Master Li

    February 19, 2026

    Russia May Block Global Crypto Exchanges By Summer

    February 19, 2026

    SuperGroupies Hades 2 Merchandise Based on Melinoe

    February 19, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions
    • Advertise
    • Disclaimer
    © 2026 TheNews92.com. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized reproduction or redistribution of content is strictly prohibited.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.