Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Gaza battle continues to forged shadow over Berlin Movie Pageant

    February 22, 2026

    Polymarket Faces New Roadblock As Dutch Regulator Bans Prediction Exercise — Particulars

    February 22, 2026

    The Legend Of Zelda Keeps Threatening To Go Full Sci-Fi

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Sunday, February 22
    Trending
    • Gaza battle continues to forged shadow over Berlin Movie Pageant
    • Polymarket Faces New Roadblock As Dutch Regulator Bans Prediction Exercise — Particulars
    • The Legend Of Zelda Keeps Threatening To Go Full Sci-Fi
    • 5 Interior Design Elements All of My Favorite Rooms Have in Common | Wit & Delight
    • Apply for Latest Careers at Quaid E Azam Law College 2026 Job Advertisement Pakistan
    • Stay Advertising HQ: The Most Complete Affiliate Advertising Coaching
    • Meet Digit: Toyota’s newest worker doesn’t need coffee breaks
    • Armed forces strike 7 terrorist camps along Pakistan-Afghanistan border in response to recent suicide bombings – Pakistan
    • Will rain disrupt Pakistan vs New Zealand match in Colombo?
    • Home – CB – Go Digital Income
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    The News92The News92
    • Home
    • World
    • National
    • Sports
    • Crypto
    • Travel
    • Lifestyle
    • Jobs
    • Insurance
    • Gaming
    • AI & Tech
    • Health & Fitness
    The News92The News92
    Home - World - Federal government raises concerns over OpenAI safety measures after B.C. tragedy
    World

    Federal government raises concerns over OpenAI safety measures after B.C. tragedy

    Naveed AhmadBy Naveed AhmadFebruary 22, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Canada’s minister of Artificial Intelligence says Ottawa is seeking answers from OpenAI and other artificial intelligence platforms following the deadly shootings in Tumbler Ridge, B.C.

    “The horrifying tragedy in Tumbler Ridge has left families with unthinkable losses and shaken communities across Canada,” Evan Solomon said in a statement on Saturday.

    “Like many Canadians, I am deeply disturbed by reports that concerning online activity from the suspect was not reported to law enforcement in a timely matter.”

    Recent statements from the company OpenAI confirmed that the shooter was flagged while using the platform ChatGPT last summer.

    Solomon said Canadians expect online platforms, including OpenAI, to have “robust safety protocols and escalation practices” to help protect public safety.

    Premier David Eby of B.C said reports alleging OpenAI may have had related intelligence prior to the attack are “profoundly disturbing.”

    Story continues below advertisement

    “We have confirmed with police that they are pursuing orders regarding the preservation of any potential evidence related to the shootings in Tumbler Ridge held by digital services companies, including social media platforms and AI companies,” Eby said in a statement Saturday.

    OpenAI has previously said it contacted police following the incident and removed an account associated with the suspect for violating its policies.

    “The pain that these families have gone through is unimaginable,” Eby added.

    The premier is urging anyone with new information to contact authorities.


    The province also provided background on its prior interactions with OpenAI.

    For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

    Get breaking National news

    For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

    According to the statement, a government representative met with company officials on Feb. 11 — a meeting scheduled weeks in advance regarding OpenAI’s potential interest in opening an office in Canada.

    The following day, OpenAI requested contact information for the RCMP. That request was forwarded to the director of policing and law enforcement services, who connected the company with police.

    “OpenAI did not inform any member of government that they had potential evidence regarding the shootings in Tumbler Ridge,” the statement said.

    Laura Huey, a professor of sociology at Western University in London, Ontario, said the company’s actions were not unexpected.

    Story continues below advertisement

    “I can’t say that I was particularly surprised. People are increasingly using AI-based apps for all sorts of things, including psychological counselling, dating advice and, of course, unfortunately, things like how to take one’s own life as well as how to commit violence against others,” Huey told Global News.

    Huey said debates about privacy and law enforcement access to digital platforms are long-standing.

    “What’s happening is the technology is far outpacing the ability of law enforcement to keep an eye on it, and therefore we rely really heavily on commercial companies to do what is in the best interest of individuals and the public.”

    She noted that companies face competing pressures when deciding whether to alert authorities.

    Trending Now

    • Climber convicted of manslaughter after leaving girlfriend to die on mountain

    • Tumbler Ridge shooter’s ChatGPT activity flagged internally 7 months before tragedy

    “ChatGPT and other apps are run by commercial entities that at the end of the day, their interest is protecting their assets and their business.”

    Huey said clearer national rules may be needed to address potential gaps.

    This development comes as RCMP say they are investigating online threats that have circulated online, forcing the cancellation of a funeral service for one of the victims of the shooting.

    In an emailed statement, police confirmed they are aware of threats toward the family of one of the students ahead of a planned funeral service, and that safety measures have been implemented while they investigate.

    Story continues below advertisement

    “The RCMP is aware of threats that have circulated online and within the community and we can confirm that an investigation is under way,” Staff Sgt. Kris Clark with B.C. RCMP told Global News.

    “A safety plan is in place for the individual(s) and community as the investigation continues.”

    Police did not provide details about the nature of the threats but said officers have been working with local officials.

    Global News has requested comment regarding the status of the funeral service. At the time of publication, it was not clear whether the service would proceed as planned.

    RCMP say their investigations into the threats and the shootings remain ongoing.


    Click to play video: 'Questions over return to learning for Tumbler Ridge students as community grieves'

    4:28
    Questions over return to learning for Tumbler Ridge students as community grieves


    — with files from Global News’ Amy Judd

    &copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleNo danger of wheat scarcity in Pakistan, Rana Tanveer  
    Next Article Hospital Staff Required at Omar Hospital & Cardiac Center 2026 Job Advertisement Pakistan
    Naveed Ahmad
    • Website
    • Tumblr

    Related Posts

    World

    Meet Digit: Toyota’s newest worker doesn’t need coffee breaks

    February 22, 2026
    World

    Ipsos poll suggests Canada more united than in 2019 – National

    February 22, 2026
    World

    ‘No one deserves this’: Ontario snowplow operator attack sparks concern

    February 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Top Posts

    Oatly loses ‘milk’ branding battle in UK Supreme Courtroom

    February 12, 20261 Views

    Gaza battle continues to forged shadow over Berlin Movie Pageant

    February 22, 20260 Views

    Polymarket Faces New Roadblock As Dutch Regulator Bans Prediction Exercise — Particulars

    February 22, 20260 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Demo
    Most Popular

    Oatly loses ‘milk’ branding battle in UK Supreme Courtroom

    February 12, 20261 Views

    Gaza battle continues to forged shadow over Berlin Movie Pageant

    February 22, 20260 Views

    Polymarket Faces New Roadblock As Dutch Regulator Bans Prediction Exercise — Particulars

    February 22, 20260 Views
    Our Picks

    Gaza battle continues to forged shadow over Berlin Movie Pageant

    February 22, 2026

    Polymarket Faces New Roadblock As Dutch Regulator Bans Prediction Exercise — Particulars

    February 22, 2026

    The Legend Of Zelda Keeps Threatening To Go Full Sci-Fi

    February 22, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions
    • Advertise
    • Disclaimer
    © 2026 TheNews92.com. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized reproduction or redistribution of content is strictly prohibited.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.